What are the admission requirements for studying in Germany?
Admission requirements may vary from program to program or university ot university. Here, you can find the general admission requirements based on the type of programs.
1. Foundation/Studienkolleg Program
A. German taught Bachelor degree program (Studienkolleg Track- Public university)
- Must have completed 10+2 or equivalent qualification with at least GPA 2.7 or 65% marks
- Must have passed B1/B2 level with good marks
- Gap should not be more than 2 years at the time of start of the German language course A1 level (for those who have not yet learned German language unless it is due to COVID-19).
Before starting your foundation course in German medium, you will be required to take an entrance examination at the Studienkolleg/university. Once you have been selected in the foundation course, you will prepare for one year at the Studienkolleg followed by final examination known as “Festellungsprufung” leading to bachelor degree studies at the university.
B. English taught Foundation course (Private university)
- Must have completed 10+2 or equivalent qualification with at least GPA 2.5 or 55% marks.
- Must have IELTS 5.5 (5.0) or equivalent.
- German language is not mandatory but highly recommended at least up to A2 level.
- Gap should not be more than 2 years at the time of applying unless it is due to COVID-19.
This is offered by the University of Applied Sciences Europe. Students who wish to apply for the English taught foundation course will have to take an online test and an admission interview. Upon the completion of the English taught foundation course, students can either continue to study English taught Bachelor program at University of Applied Sciences Europe or at a public university. The English taught foundation course is only for Business Track students and not for Engineering students at the moment and is subject to tuition fees.
2. Bachelor degree programs
A. German taught (Direct Entry- Public university)
Students applying for studying German taught bachelor programs in Germany must have the following qualifications and language proficiency.
- Must have passed at least first year bachelor degree in Nepal or proper A-levels
- Must have passed at least B1 level of German language course
Before starting your bachelor degree, you will be required to do a semester of German language course at the university and pass DSH-2 Examination.
B. English taught Bachelor program (Public university - Direct Entry)
Students applying for studying English taught bachelor programs at state universities in Germany must have the following qualifications and language proficiency.
- Must have passed at least first year Bachelor degree in Nepal or proper A-levels
- Must have IELTS score of 6.0 (5.5)
- Must have basic knowledge of German language (A1 or A2 level highly recommended)
Students who meet these entry requirements are eligible to study directly in first semester of studies in English medium at a public university in Germany without having to pay tuition fees. An exception to the above entry requirements is that a few public universities may also provide direct admission for students who have at least 3.0 GPA in their 10+2 or equivalent and the required English and German proficiency for a few bilingual programs. However, one must keep in mind that Medicine, dentistry, pharmacy and other programs are offered only as German taught programs.
C. English taught Bachelor degree programs (Private universities)
Individual private universities in Germany may have their individual admission requirements based on the regulation of the state in which they are registered or based on the programs. It may be possible for students to directly study in the first semester in an English taught program at a private university with 10+2 or equivalent qualifications and without having to complete the foundation course. You must keep in mind that these programs are mainly limited to Business Management, Hospitality Management and or Data Science programs.
- Must have passed at 10+2 with at least 60% marks
- Must have IELTS score of 6.0 (5.5)
- Must have basic knowledge of German language (A1 or A2 level highly recommended but not mandatory)
- Students who apply for direct admission with these qualifications have to undergo an online admission test followed by an online interview with a faculty member.
- In some cases, if it is not possible for you to take IELTS examination, it is also possible to attend the online English test to demonstrate your English proficiency for participation in the application process.
- At some universities, it may be possible to attend the bachelor degree program of your choice after attending a year of foundation course in English taught program if the 10+2 or equivalent is not recognised as an equivalent to the German Abitur A.
Master degree programs
A. English taught Master program (Public universities)
There is a huge number of master programs taught in English medium at different public universities and each program may have specific admission requirement and individual application deadline. However, the basic requirements are as follows: Students
- Must have at least 70% marks or CGPA 3.0 (out of 4.0) in 4 years Bachelor degree from Nepal or India
- Must have an overall score of 6.5 in IELTS or equivalent test
- Must have some basic knowledge of German language (A1 level is highly recommended)
- The above admission requirement is just an indication of the competitiveness in the admission process. Some highly competitive programs may have 80% marks as initial requirement for application in addition to GRE or GMAT as well as work experience may also be required. In addition to the above requirements, some Master degree programs which have collaboration with the German industry may have mandatory requirement of Start Deutsch 1 or Start Deutsch 2 at the time of application.
- Some programs may accept students with IELTS 6.0 or equivalent IELTS score instead of 6.5 overall, however it is recommended that students must not have scores less than 5.5 in individual band.
- Students who have completed a 3 years bachelor degree from Nepal must have completed a one-year Master program in similar subject in order to apply for English taught Master degree program at a German university apart from having the required grades and language proficiency.
B. English taught Master program (Private universities)
The admission requirements for most master programs at private university may slightly vary in the grade requirements and IELTS proficiency. In general, the admission requirements are as follows:
- at least 55% marks or CGPA 2.5 (out of 4.0) in 4 years Bachelor degree from Nepal or India
- an overall score of 6.0 or 6.5 in IELTS or equivalent test
- some basic knowledge of German language (A1 level is highly recommended)
- Students who meet the above criteria are also eligible for 1-year Master program which eventually reduces the total cost of tuition. Students with 3 years Bachelor programs may also apply for Master programs with 2 years duration.
- Some colleges and universities may offer additional preparatory semester for students with 3 years Bachelor program
- Studying at private university is subject to tuition fees around 12000 Euros per year which is still much cheaper than most other countries and the tuition fee is payable semester by semester.
- Many German universities offer bursaries for International students which further reduces the total tuition cost.
- Students applying for ART and Design programs are required to submit a portfolio for which support can be provided by us or the universities in case needed.